White Paper Details
|Tables, Charts, Figures:||7|
|Release Date:||3Q 2015|
The wearables market is a combination of multiple device types, applications, and use cases. The breadth and diversity of the market makes it unique, and unlike any other consumer electronics category that has existed before. The common thread across wearables is that the device is attached or worn on the body. Wearables can be sensor-infused devices, clothing that is reading vital biometric data off the body, or simply a body-mounted camera or a pair of smart glasses that allows for hands-free operation. More importantly, wearables in their various shapes and forms are reinventing the way humans interact with computers, in the process getting a better understanding of their bodies and their immediate environment.
Wearables like fitness trackers and, more recently, smart watches have received a lot of attention. It is easy to limit one’s view of the wearables market through the lens of these devices and form impulsive opinions about their future. Tractica’s extensive coverage of the market has found that, unless you view the market as a whole and understand the micro trends within each device segment, application area, and world region, it is difficult to have a comprehensive view about wearables.
This white paper identifies and analyzes 10 key trends that will shape the next stage of evolution for wearables, including the following:
- The diversification of wearables beyond just smart watches and fitness trackers
- The growth of wearable operating systems beyond just Apple and Google
- A shifting market focus toward wearable user interface and analytics
- The role of North America as the primary market for wearables, with China ascending as a major market
- Corporate wellness programs and the “quantified enterprise”
- The continuing importance of crowdfunding in the wearables market
- The emergence of wearables as a service
- The prospects for smart clothing as a key wearable technology category
- The merging of wearable cameras and virtual reality (VR)
- The role of smart augmented reality (AR) glasses in the future of computing platforms
This Tractica white paper highlights 10 key market trends for wearables that are worth watching as the market moves from an early adopter stage to becoming a mass-market proposition. The wearable device categories covered include smart watches, fitness trackers, smart clothing, wearable cameras, and smart augmented reality (AR) glasses. The white paper provides a comprehensive view of the wearables market with its diversified sets of devices and applications that are seeing varying levels of traction in different regions of the world. These trends are based on the ongoing research and analysis that is part of Tractica’s Wearable Devices Advisory Service.
Key Questions Addressed:
- How is the mix of wearable device categories changing, and what role will each type of device play in the future?
- What types of new business models will emerge as the wearable market evolves over the next few years?
- What impact will wearables have on the connected customer experience of the future, and what will wearables’ relationship be with other devices such as smartphones or computers?
- What are some of the key technology trends that will shape the evolution of the wearables market?
- What types of new services and revenue streams will be available as wearables adoption continues to grow?
- How will the development of the wearables market take on different flavors in various regions of the world?
Who Needs This Report?
- Consumer electronics manufacturers
- Wearable device manufacturers
- Semiconductor and component companies
- Wearable application developers
- Mobile network operators
- Enterprise users of wearables
- Investor community
Table of Contents
- 10 Key Wearable Trends to Watch
- Wearable Market Is More Than Just Smart Watches and Fitness Trackers
- Unlike Smartphones, Wearables Will Grow Beyond Just Apple and Google
- Market Focus Will Move to Wearables UI and Analytics
- North America Is Driving Adoption, but Look Out for China
- Corporate Wellness Is Creating the “Quantified Enterprise”
- Crowdfunding Will Continue to Play an Important Role for Wearables
- Wearables as a Service Is on the Horizon
- Smart Clothing Is the Ultimate Wearable
- Wearable Cameras Will Ultimately Merge with Virtual Reality
- Smart AR Glasses Are a Precursor for the Next Leap in Computing Platforms
- Company Directory
- Acronym and Abbreviation List
- Table of Contents
- Table of Charts and Figures
- Additional Reading
- Scope of Study, Sources and Methodology, Notes
List of Charts and Figures
- Wearable Device Shipments by Device Type, World Markets: 2013-2020
- Smart Watch Market Share by OS, World Markets 2013-2020
- Wearable Device Shipments by Region, World Markets: 2013-2020
- Sproutling Baby Monitor Mobile App UI
- Jiff’s Corporate Wellness Dashboard for Enterprises
- SoftBank’s Fitbit-Powered Healthcare Service
- Living Room Applications for Microsoft HoloLens