White Paper Details
|Tables, Charts, Figures:||3|
|Release Date:||1Q 2019|
5G will enable markets to move from fast connectivity for billions of devices linked mostly to people to super-fast low latency connectivity for trillions of devices (not just people). The potential of this kind of connectedness opens a new range of use cases that will propel societies into a much more intelligent world, where devices tuned to environments and context and fueled by mega-processing and artificial intelligence (AI) will anticipate needs, self-heal problems, and much more.
5G is being designed for increased speeds, low latency, massive Internet of Things (IoT), and a higher quality of service. This design is pushing the storage, control, and compute toward the edge of the cloud, closer to end devices. Moving some of the processing to edge devices is a fundamental part of the 5G vision of connecting trillions of devices. On-device AI processing will be integral in the 5G era for several key reasons: it will reduce latency, decrease bandwidth load, ensure data privacy, increase reliability, and provide a superior means of security. Much of today’s AI compute takes place in the cloud. However, the pendulum is shifting swiftly toward a more distributed computing model where on-device processing complements the cloud processing. Tractica believes on-device AI and edge cloud processing will increase and take on more of the AI processing done in the central cloud today. This ongoing change in the network and where data is processed is how 5G and AI are transforming the wireless edge.
This Tractica white paper, commissioned by Qualcomm, describes the market drivers for and barriers to distributed computing in the 5G era. The paper also explores some key use cases that will be transformed as AI processing is spread among the cloud, the edge cloud, and devices. This study includes a forecast of edge device processor revenue as well as a description of key AI solutions from Qualcomm for the wireless edge transformation.
Key Questions Addressed:
- What are the market drivers and barriers related to 5G and AI transforming the wireless edge?
- What is the projected market size for AI edge device chipsets over the next 5 years?
- What are the key use cases that will drive 5G era on-device processing and AI?
- What are some of the key solutions for wireless edge transformation?
Who Needs This Report?
- Communications service providers
- Automotive suppliers
- AI companies
- Robotics companies
- Virtual and augmented reality equipment and content providers
- Mobile phone manufacturers
- Security technology providers
- Government agencies
- Investor community
Table of Contents
- Hurtling toward an Intelligent World
- Use Cases
- Market Forecast
- Market Issues
- Market Drivers
- Market Barriers
- Rapid Evolution of AI Models
- Crowded Field for AI Frameworks and AI Hardware Acceleration
- Market Drivers
- Use Cases
- Consumer and Enterprise Robots
- Head-Mounted Displays
- Mobile Phones
- Security Cameras
- Qualcomm Technologies Solutions for the Wireless Edge Transformation
- Qualcomm AI Engine
- Qualcomm Technologies Wireless Connectivity
- Scaling AI at the Wireless Edge
- Key Conclusions
- Acronym and Abbreviations List
- Table of Contents
- Table of Charts and Figures
- Scope of Study, Sources and Methodology
List of Charts and Figures
- AI Edge Device Chipset Revenue, World Markets: 2017-2025
- Agricultural Robot
- 5G Era Realities: AR/VR